Wednesday 27 February 2013

The Mind Block

Design development ! sigh! I really do dread sketching. My worst nightmare. People automatically assume that designers are really good at illustrations, let me tell you that it's not true at all. I have a huge mind block when it comes to this phase of my process. Though we have had classes on illustration I am not very skilled at translating my design ideas into sketches. It is a huge drawback because as a designer if I cannot convey my designs then there is no point. One of the main reasons the 'jury aftermath' phase dragged on for so long was because I couldn't sketch out my ideas and for a fourth year design student it puts me in a very embarrassing position. Not being able to sketch is what washes out my confidence the most. 
I believe that I can understand design and can analyse and interpret brands and their requirements, trends , fabrics , clients , and every other aspect of the process but completely fail to illustrate my ideas. I managed to sketch out 50 odd designs and after a quite a few pep talk sessions with my mentor, she got me  to let go of that mental block and select my range. The best part is my mentor knows when to let go and let me laze around and waste time for a bit because she also knows that eventually I  pull up my socks and work my butt off! But If she hadn't pushed me to select my range , I would have dilly dallied for a bit longer and lost out on crucial time.

MY RANGE 
I have tried my best to balance out the number of tie dye pieces, the number of knits, the embroideries , the leather and the shear fabrics. I should be able balance my range better once I get done with my mocks. I would rather spend more time editing my designs once I get done with the toile garments.

MY MINI STUDIO

No comments:

Post a Comment