Saturday 12 January 2013

pages from the past

Remember when I said  " I am all geared up to start off with my final collection " ? Well.... I might have over estimated my enthusiasm because i still haven't kicked into my work mode. It's been exactly  a week since I've come back to Chennai and  my holiday mood is still on, but that didn't seem to stop me from helping out with a college fashion show! I don't know if it's the fear of having to start my "FINAL" collection or just pure laziness. Either ways I am in for trouble if I don't get cracking on it right now. 

I've spent the last couple of days digging through fabrics, trims, photos, old blog posts , our craft documentations and everything else that I had collected from my Rajasthan trip . This was one of the main reasons behind taking up this inspiration. Everything is based on primary research and I don't need to spend time finding visual references from Google that are based on other people's likes and dislikes about Rajasthan . It gives me the confidence to back my designs up a 100 percent because the design process is based on my own observations.  .

                     PAGES FROM MY JOURNAL DURING MY VISIT TO RAJASTHAN 







The draw back with my inspiration is that it is so diverse that I can easily think of a  hundred different ways to take it forward. So many colours and visuals that at times it leaves me going back and forth and makes it harder to take a stance on even the tiniest of decisions. So I finally short listed a few visual references that I felt had the most potential for me to work with , such as ; images of the architecture , the clothing styles and some very interesting use of colour and patterns found in their crafts. 

ARCHITECTURE IN FORTS - CAN DEVELOP INTO PRINTS, STYLE LINES OR DETAILING 

I LOVED HOW THEY LAYER THEIR CLOTHES AND USE  COLOUR BLOCKS . THE PATCH WORK FOUND ON THE LITTLE BOY'S  SHIRT IS VERY STYLISH . I PLAN ON TAKING IDEAS FOR DETAILING( CONTRAST BINDINGS , PIPING ,THE CONCEPT OF LAYERING ) AND SILHOUETTES FROM THEIR CLOTHING 

I FOUND THAT THE CAMEL EMBROIDERED ON THE FABRIC WAS VERY DIFFERENT , AND I LOVE THAT THEIR PATTERNS ARE SO GEOMETRIC  AND THE COLOUR COMBINATIONS ARE VERY UNIQUE

By next week I will be a lot more clear on how I plan on using these images and translating them into design ideas and print developments . Hopefully in time for my mentoring session on Wednesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment