Saturday 5 January 2013

A perfect start to the new year !

The time has finally come , to put the last 3 and a half years of  my learning to test. It's the final semester and after a long and much needed winter's break I am all geared up to start working on my final collection . A perfect start to the new year !

Last year I had the opportunity to be a part of an exchange program to Pearl academy Delhi where we worked on a craft documentation module for a period of 8 weeks. I was put in a group with three other exchange students ;Katherine Steele and Sorcha Meredith from Hariot watt university and Christina Tiran from LCF . We were sent to intern at Rangsutra , an NGO in Bikaner, Rajasthan .

At Rangsutra , we were asked to document four crafts ; embroidery, reverse applique, tie-dye and engineered weaving.  We spent 6 weeks in Bikaner documenting these crafts and traveling to villages in and around to talk to the craftsmen and learn as much as we could about their lives and the stories behind their mastered craft skill . Most weekends we took off to explore  near by cities like Udaipur and Jaisalmer . It was indeed an over whelming experience for each one of us . We came from different countries , different cultures and had completely different lifestyles but those 6 weeks in the desert , miles away from our homes and families got the four of us closer together and soon we had formed our own little family .

      our new found family - Sorch ,Kat, Christina and me with Aunty outside our bikaner home

My trip to Bikaner was beyond inspiring . It wasn't just the craft or the colours of  Rajasthan that inspired me,  it was more the amazing people that I met and the stories that they had to tell.  I felt like they had taught me so much and that it is only fair that I give back to the craftsmen  a little of what i took from them. At this point I was certain that I wanted my final collection to revolve around my experience here in Rajasthan.
Here I am, a year later, still extremely passionate about my inspiration and hoping to take it forward in the best way possible. It scares me that I might not be able to do justice to the amazing journey that not only taught me so much but also helped me grow as a person . But one can only try everything in their power to work hard and do their best.

Now it's time to get back to the grind and start with my process book ! looking forward to another sleepless night of mind mapping :D!

xoxo
- skinny drama queen <3

1 comment: